If you are golfer, this article only for you. Electric golf carts are an excellent addition to the golf playing experience. They have become an inseparable part of golf communities. Not only that, nowadays these electric carts can be seen around the beaches, resorts, farms, zoos, private properties, camping grounds, and even on college campuses for transportation or riding. However, investing in a good golf cart is not enough. You’ll need to have the right battery to operate the cart. Therefore, we have picked up the best golf cart batteries for you to choose from.
The best batteries provide the best service. When you pick the wrong battery, a lot of troubles show up. Like other electric cars, most of the time the battery is the main issue in a golf cart. The golf cart batteries come in different shapes, sizes, and power capacities. Let’s check out the features of the top 10 golf cart batteries.
Table of Contents
Revealing best golf cart batteries: July 2023
Quick Look! Here are our best top 3 picks of golf cart batteries, If you are in a hurry:
Our Test Winner After 25 + Hours Of Research: Golf Cart Batteries
No products found.
Why would we call a battery the best? Obviously, we call a battery the best for its outstanding features, capabilities, and other amazing facts. You need to judge properly the golf cart batteries. So, let’s not waste any time and start talking about the best batteries for the golfing cart and excellent battery chargers.
Types of Battery
Lead Acid Battery
Physicist Gaston Planté of French invented lead-acid batteries. It’s one kind of rechargeable battery. It is built with low weight energy and low volume energy.
However, it can provide substantial surge currents. Primarily, It is used in engine-driven and costly vehicles.
These batteries are usually used in electric vehicles. They are made of lead-acid. However, they have low energy, around 34 wh/kg. The real source of their energy is BEVs.
How to Load Test Golf Cart Batteries
As a golfer, you may have a golf cart and you must have to take care of those golf carts batteries. We will talk about one of the caring activities of cart batteries here. You are going to know about how to load test golf carts batteries. Here, we are sharing
- 3 methods or ways of load testing of golf batteries. They are-
- Use a voltmeter to know or test the voltage of the batteries
- For checking the amperage, you may use the load tester
- For checking the charge of the batteries, you may use a hydrometer
These ways are the easiest option for a golfer for load testing the batteries of his or her golf cart.
When to Replace Golf Car Batteries?
Nothing sustainable for a lifetime. So you must know the symptoms when you need to change the batteries of your golf cart.
Usually, a golf cart battery takes a whole night to fully charge itself. But if the golf cart’s battery takes a longer period to charge than in the meantime, then yes, it is the right time to replace your battery.
Moreover, the carts are not built with so much power that can be taken on the vast hills. But if your cart face problems dealing with small knolls, then yes, it’s time to replace your battery.
Besides, your cart will not respond late to your action until the battery is unstable. So if you see the break and acceleration of a cart occur 2-3 seconds or more after pressing the pedal, then you need to change the battery.
Golf carts have some extra advantages like a CD player, refrigerator, air conditioning, radio, etc. If anything is not working correctly, then there is some electrical issue with the battery.
Fundamentally, you can deal with your golf cart all day long as an example. You can fulfill 18 holes of golf. But now, if you see that you can’t like you can’t operate your cart more than halfway despite having a full charge, then the battery should be replaced. Lastly, suppose you follow any kind of physical abnormalities with your golf cart as bulging or leaking.
In that case, something is wrong with the internal parts because every golf cart has ninety-degree necessary housing angles.
There may be four, six, or eight batteries in the electric golf course carts. The necessary voltage to run a cart is approximately a 36-V battery to a 48-V battery. You can determine the voltage of the batteries by the following instructions-
- At first, you have to count the holes in the batteries where each battery may have 3, 4, or 6 holes.
- Then multiply the total number of holes by 2 where each hole has a 2-V battery. Then you will have the total voltage of your cart’s batteries.
The 10 Best Golf Cart Batteries in 2021
- LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery 12V 100Ah with Built-in BMS
- Weize 12V 100AH Deep Cycle AGM SLA VRLA Battery
- Miady 12V 100Ah Lithium Phosphate Battery
- 36volt 18amp Golf Batteries Charger for Ez-go.
- Trojan 6-Volt Battery T-105.
- Exide Edge FP-AGM24 Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery.
- VMAXTANKS 6 Volts 225Ah Battery.
- DieHard 38217 Advanced Gold AGM Battery – Group 49.
- Lifeline Marine AGM Battery – GPL – 4CT.
- Amstron GC2 6V AGM Golf Cart, Marine, RV Battery.
These are our top best batteries & chargers for your golfing course cart. Now, we are going to discuss why we are calling them our Best Batteries for Golf Carts and Chargers. We will reveal those batteries and chargers’ features, pros, and cons.
We hope that this discussion will help you to understand which one is perfect for you. So, let’s begin guys the discussion of golf carts batteries-
LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery is one of the best golf batteries for its advanced functionalities and useful features.
It comes with a higher energy density that delivers more stable performance with a higher power.
The UL Testing Certificate shows how stable it is. Since this is a deep-cycle battery, it does not have any acid inside it. You can easily use it at any angle and position.
With a higher lifecycle and improved efficiency, you can expect top-notch performance from this batter.
No products found.
- Automotive Grade LiFePO4 Cells: It delivers higher stability and great performance.
- Long lifecycle: This battery offers 4000+ cycles for longevity and durability.
- Lightweight design: This LiFeP04 battery weighs only 25.35 lbs.
- Additional safety: The built-in BMS protects the battery from overcharge, overcurrent, over-discharge, and short circuit.
- Higher efficiency: It offers 95% of its capacity usage.
No products found.
Weize 12V 100AH Deep Cycle AGM SLA VRLA Battery is another excellent option for your golf cart batteries. This is a high-performance battery with a deep discharge recovery rate.
The heavy-duty calcium-alloy grid delivers exceptional performance compared to other batteries. With its Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) technology, you can use the battery both indoor and outdoor.
At the same time, it allows you to use the battery for versatile operation including backup, solar panel, or other electrics
- Heavy performance: The calcium-alloy grid design provides high performance.
- Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) technology: Its AGM technology provides longevity and high power.
- Wide applications: The Sealed Lead Acid Rechargeable design makes it suitable for wide applications.
- Excellent resistance to leaking: Acid-less design makes the battery excellent against the leak.
- Anti-overheat cover: The anti-overheat cover provides additional protection for a longer lifespan.
No products found.
If your concern is to get the best golf cart batteries for the money, consider Miady 12V 100Ah Lithium Phosphate Battery. It is a widely applicable battery you can use in Solar Power, RV, EV, and other applications.
With thermal and chemical stability, you can ensure a safe environment. You can also expect a decent lifespan for its 2000 cycles capacity.
The lightweight design with compact size allows you to use the battery in any 12v application. This one also delivers protection against leakage, harmful fumes, and potential explosion threats.
- Better thermal and chemical stability: Its advanced cell design ensures better thermal and chemical stability.
- 2000 cycles: 2000 cycles offer a longer lifespan compared to other batteries.
- 13.1kg/28.9lbs weight: This lightweight design makes the battery easy to maneuver.
- Advanced tech use: The lithium-iron-phosphate technology provides a better energy solution.
- Maintenance-free: Acid-free design ensures less maintenance for a better experience.
No products found.
Another outstanding battery charger, we are discussing now the 36volt 18amp Golfing Cart Battery charger. The battery charger has a microprocessor that allows the charger to “smart” charge to batteries of your cart.
For that amazing feature, there will no charging problem for your batteries.
If you need to charge different types of batteries with different material constructions then this charger is just perfect for you. This charger has a high degree of versatility because it is capable to charge any 36volt cart.
This battery charger has the ability to aid in the winterization of your cart and that is one of the best useful features of this charger. You can use this device to charge batteries of your cart for golfing over the course of the winter as long as your batteries have the 32volt worth of charge.
The charger comes with nine feet of cabling and that gives this device a high degree of reach. To know other facts about this smart charger let’s jump into the discussion given below-
- Range of temperature: Its temperature range is 32 to 113 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dimensions of the charger: The dimensions of this charger are 6.2 x 10.2 x 6.9 inches.
- Charger’s weight: The weight of this charger is only 30.2 pounds.
- Amp of power: Its initial amp of power output is 18.
- Float voltage: The float voltage of this battery charger is 54.
Now, it’s about a golf cart battery and it is Trojan 6-Volt Battery T-105. This excellent carts battery is built for the best performance for your golf cart. This is one of the best lead-acid batteries.
If you will have this battery in your cart then be confident that you can go with your cart for playing each game time and time again.
Trojan Company built this battery series in 1952 and since then the battery is providing outstanding performance. This golf cart’s battery is one of those T-105 flagship batteries. This battery type is really amazing.
The battery is built to overcome any type of difficulties and toughest challenges during a golf course.
So guys, let’s discuss other information about this torjan battery which will amaze you-
- The voltage of the battery: The voltage of this battery is 6 volts.
- Dimensions of the product: The dimensions of the battery are 10.3 x 7.12 x 10.87 inches.
- Battery’s weight: The battery has a weight of 62 pounds.
- Hours of the amp: The amp hours of this battery is 225.
Exide Edge FP-AGM24 Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery is one of the best superior batteries for your golf cart. This AGM battery is designed with high cycling performance.
In this battery, sure life graphite technology is used for offering great energy capacity to its users for golf vehicle carts.
Stainless-steel SAE threaded posts and auto top posts are used to build this outstanding cart battery of golf courses for more durability. The battery also features a maintenance-free and spill-proof design.
The battery has a fold-down holder which helps to carry it easily. This AGM- battery is really amazing.
We are talking about a great cart battery which is more than perfect for your cart, to know more interesting facts let’s go through the information given below-
- The voltage of the battery: The voltage of this battery is 12 volts.
- Dimensions of the product: The dimensions of the battery are 10.18 x 6.75 x 8.62 inches.
- Battery’s weight: The battery has a weight of 46.2 pounds.
- Float voltage: The float voltage of this battery is 13.5-13.8 volts.
- Cycling voltage: The cycling voltage of this battery is 14.1-14.4 volts.
- Handler: The battery has a fold-down holder to handle it well.
Now, we are going to talk about one of the golfing carts batteries, in a word which is outstanding. We are talking about VMAXTANKS 6 Volts 225Ah Battery which will amaze you for its amazing quality. This AGM battery is one of the best lead-acid batteries for golfing carts.
This battery has a great lifespan of 8 to 10 years. The electrolyte suspension system and AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) are used in this VMAX tank battery.
In this battery, no silica gels or any other contaminants are used. This AGM battery is manufactured for the best performance for not only carts of the golf courses but also for other vehicles.
If you are willing to buy this amazing AGM battery then let us tell you that you will not need to think about its service life.
Let’s not waste any time and let’s know other amazing factors about this AGM battery-
- The voltage of the battery: This is a 6-volt battery.
- Dimensions of the product: The dimensions of the battery are 9.5 x 7.3 x 11 inches.
- Battery type: The battery is built with lead-acid and it will not be spilled.
- Sealed battery: The battery is sealed and it can be mounted in any position.
- Capacity: The battery has a capacity of 225Ah and the reserve capacity is 500 minutes.
- Energy: The energy of this battery 1.55kWH.
Now, it is about Diehard 38217 Advanced Gold AGM Battery-Group 49 which is maintenance-free. This is one of the batteries of the golf cart. If you are thinking to change the old battery of your golf cart then this excellent product is much suitable.
Genuine AGM technology is constructed with demineralized battery acid, thru-partition connectors, and heat-sealed polypropylene case which helps to keep your cart starting smoothly months after months.
The battery also has full-frame calcium-lead pit grids and remote flame-retardant safety vents too.
The durable Diehard battery is specially designed to use cooler northern climates so that you can have a better-golfing experience.
The battery is specially sized to use not only in your golf cart but also in other vehicles so we can say that it is a versatile battery. You will get an Electronic Suspension System in this product which will give top power to your cart.
This feature helps the battery to absorb more electrolytes and also protects the internal components. To know other mind-blowing facts about this battery let’s move below-
- Vibration resistant: The battery has vibration-resistant technology so that it will be more lasting than others.
- Dimensions of the product: The dimensions of the battery are 13.9 x 6.9 x 7.5 inches.
- Battery’s weight: The battery has a weight of 60 pounds.
- Safe from electrical shorts: The product is covered by optimized power full-frame positive and negative plates which make it safer from electric shorts.
It is time to talk about Lifeline Marine AGM Battery – GPL – 4CT and this battery is manufactured in the USA. This lifeline marine deep-cycling battery is a hand-made battery.
Let us share with you that this Lifeline Marine AGM battery has the approval of the Coast Guard and the battery is also demandable for US Military vessels.
This Lifeline Marine AGM battery is designed to deliver industry reverse capacities and service life of deep-cycle capabilities. The battery has the perfect combination of materials.
There are some more interesting information about this outstanding battery which are discussed below-
- The voltage of the battery: The voltage of this battery is 6 volts.
- Dimensions of the product: The dimensions of the battery are 10.3 x 7.1 x 9.9 inches.
- Battery’s weight: The battery has a heavyweight of 66 pounds.
- Hours of the amp: The amp hours of this battery is 220.
- Marine & solar applications: This battery is also better for marine and solar applications as well as your cart.
- Float voltage: The float voltage of this battery is 6.55-6.70 volts.
Armstrong GC2 6V AGM Golf Cart, Marine, RV Battery offers different types of advantages both conventional flooded batteries and gel cell batteries. The manufacturer company uses AGM technology in this battery which makes this battery really a hassle-free product. This is also a gel battery.
The 6V AGM golf cart battery is designed very well that you don’t need to worry about any accidental spillage or water levels. Another feature is that the battery will not be damaged by freezing temperature because no liquid is used in the battery.
The 6V AGM cart battery is designed to reduce heat generation during the charge and discharge deep cycles. This feature can ensure you that your battery will have a long service life cycle. This gel battery is really cool.
You can use this outstanding AGM battery in your cart and in other vehicles even in aircraft. To know more information, we are going to discuss other amazing facts below-
- The voltage of the battery: The voltage of this battery is 6 volts.
- Dimensions of the product: The dimensions of the battery are 10.2 x 7.1 x 10.8 inches.
- Battery’s weight: The battery has a heavyweight of 68 pounds.
- Marine, aircraft & solar applications: This battery is also better for marine, aircraft, and solar applications as well as your cart.
- Longer life of deep-cycle: The AGM technology is used in the battery for the long life of the deep cycle.
How to maintain golf car batteries
These are some steps to follow for the proper maintenance of cart batteries:
You need to charge the golf car batteries for up to 8 to 10 hours using the appropriate model of golf cart rechargeable battery. It is founded on an 80 percent discharge, meaning the cart batteries will only be 20 percent powered at the point of charging. The best practice will be to charge your cart overnight when you have already finished using it during the day.
Good golf cart battery management is critical to the smooth running of your vehicle. Maintain the tops of each cart batteries by keeping them dry, safe, and tight.
When doing golf car battery repairs, keep in mind that all golf cart battery cells should be filled only after charging, and not during the charging time. Cover battery cells (aka water fill holes) 0.25 to 0.5 inch above the plates with purified water (not tap water).
Use cart batteries enough to keep the golf car batteries at full power. Try to execute a refresh charge within every 45 to 60 days, or more often in hot and humid climates.
Avoid overcharging your cart batteries, as it it affects the battery negatively.
You should not discharge cart batteries more than 80 %.
Never put a frozen battery for charging.
Always keep the record of battery voltage as you might need it in future.
The Water of the Batteries
You should always check to add water to the batteries of your cart. You may find a shortage of water in the battery. If the water is short then you have to add water into the batteries. But, make sure that you are filling the water after the batteries are fully charged.
How to Clean the Batteries
- The steps are given below regarding cleaning the cart battery-
- Take some water mixed up with the proper amount of baking soda.
- Then with that water rub the corrosion top of the batteries with a toothbrush.
- After you have removed the corrosion from the batteries then apply normal on the battery. Then remove the water with a dry & clean cloth.
How to Charge Dead Batteries
Often a golfer faces the problem of dead batteries. For lack of proper guidelines, golfers are unable to solve the problem. During the winter season, golfers face these dead battery problems the most. We are going to share some ways to charge the dead golf batteries easily-
Use the golf cart unit of battery recovery to provide the actual voltage to the dead batteries
When your battery will have enough voltage then you should use the battery charger. Using the battery charger is very simple and with a simple push on the button, the charger applies a huge voltage into the batteries. That’s why a good quality unit of battery recovery is important.
Can you use car batteries in a golf cart?
Of course, you can. Car batteries can be used in a golf-cart without any hesitation or problem. But even so, it is not suggested because car batteries do not have enough backup power to hold the cart moving for an extended period.
These batteries may not accommodate the huge current flow that will be required consistently mostly in the cases of a golfing cart throughout the time.
A good-quality and standard car battery would most certainly die just within a few spins. It will also necessitate regular replacements, and that will be very expensive in the long run.
What kind of batteries go in a golf cart?
Since the significant number of golf carts, nowadays, use a 6-volt golf cart battery, most google reviews for golf car batteries can guide you to go for 6v battery choices. Of course, there are certain reasons for which many golf cart owners suggest 6-volt battery to be used.
Can you use 3 12-volt batteries in a golf cart?
Of course, the unique and original six 6-volt batteries in a 36-volt golf cart can indeed be replaced very easily by using three 12-volt batteries.
However, take into consideration that if you swap the batteries, the golf cart cannot continue to go on as long as it did before with the use of 6-volt batteries. In addition, the cart would not even be sufficient to handle all 18 holes on the golf course.
Can I use regular deep cycle batteries in my golf cart?
Although the power output of regular deep cycle battery is very low, you may use it in your golf carts. It can roughly meet the required power output and expected structure for running a golf cart properly. And in that case, the speed will not be like the usual golf carts as well.
- Why are the batteries going bad?
Everything in the world gets expired. Batteries are also the same. Mainly batteries are made of electrodes, which is metal tape coated with an oxide, a combination of oxygen and other elements.
Sometimes these elements become over time, not more effective or entirely unstable. Because, as we know, the battery works through the electrodes.
So if there is an issue with transferring an electric charge between electrodes like a breakdown of lithium, then the battery goes bad.
- Flooded lead-acid batteries vs deep cycle lead-acid
The flooded lead-acid battery is the type where the sulfuric acid in the electrolyte participates in charging and discharging. In this type, the plates are submerged or flooded completely into the electrolyte fluid. That is why it is called a ‘flooded’ lead-acid battery. It requires regular maintenance since it needs water to function properly.
On the other hand, a deep cycle lead-acid battery is a lead-acid battery but designed to charge and discharge regularly. It can deliver a quick burst of power but not for a very long time. That is why you can use these batteries in recreational vehicles, boats, and golf carts and not for most vehicles.
- How much does it cost to replace golf cart batteries?
The average cost to replace a golf cart battery is $800 to $1,500. If you replace your existing battery with an expensive battery, it may cost more money. Also, you can save money by installing the battery yourself.
How long do electric golf cart batteries last?
Well, it depends on the quality of the battery and the way you maintain and use it. A good battery can offer up to 5000 cycles that can last long enough. At the same time, consider your weather, temperature and use. These determine the longevity of the battery as well.
- How many batteries are needed for the Golf cart application?
Answer: Around 4 to 8 batteries are needed for the golf cart application to operate a golf cart gently. No golf cart can have just one battery.
If you want to gently operate a cart, you have to balance voltage with its quantity. Every single battery will have to be connected.
If the golfing cart system needs 48 volts, you can use 8 batteries of 6 v or 6 batteries of 8v or 4 batteries of 12v.
That means whenever you will increase the amount of battery, the voltage will become low. And whenever you have a high voltage, then you can operate the golf cart with a minimum amount of battery. As simple as that!
- How to find the perfect Golf Cart Battery for You?
If you think of buying batteries for your golf cart, please don’t go to the departmental store or Warehouses where you can’t get batteries around 6 volts- 12 volts because the highest volts means the highest amperage.
So if you buy that kind of low cost and deep cycle battery, that might not be suitable for high or medium loads of application. So get 6v-12v ampere durable golf car batteries. You will have a great experience using them. Got it, right?
- How to Test your Golf Cart Battery?
You can test your golf battery by using a digital voltage or multimeter meter and a hydrometer. Digital meter or multimeter to check the voltage and hydrometer to check the gravity of the battery.
First, you need to open the battery caps you want to check then put both of the clamps on the metal probe. Put the red clamp at the positive terminal and the negative terminal.
Now match its voltage reading of the meter with the voltage mentioned at the top of the battery if you get a stable reading, the battery is OK.
If there is an electrical issue within the battery, then the current will run through the battery, but the flow won’t be stable, and you need to change it.
Next, fully charge your battery and let it come to room temperature. Now get a hydrometer and set both of the clamps as before.
Make sure to adjust the reading according to the battery’s need. Now check the gravity of the battery with the hydrometer.
If it is 1.100 – 1.220, you have to recharge, or if the gravity is within 1.225-1.265, then it’s OK and ready to test.
Now hit the battery with 300-350 amps. After testing, if voltage drops are 1-2, then your battery is OK, or if it’s 3-4, you need to change your battery.
Before checking the battery, make sure to wear gloves, shield, and choose a clean area. It’s important!
As you have got an idea about how you should pick the right battery for your golf cart with the guideline given in the buying guide, it is no problem for you to pick one from the list. These versatile batteries are also useful for other vehicles as they are useful for golf carts. With the proper maintenance, you get the most out of these batteries. So, don’t put your money into some cheap batteries to save some buck. Rather make a good investment in a quality golf cart battery and charger that will serve the purpose.